Building and Strengthening Tenant Action
Buscando Acción y Solidaridad Que Transforme el Arrendamiento
We are a team of tenants, organizers, attorneys, and paralegals working to create a future where all Austinites have access to healthy and affordable housing.
We are always looking for talented and passionate folks to join our team.
Check back regularly for updated opportunities to help us achieve our mission.
TEMPORARY WINTER STORM ORGANIZER
In furthering the cause of tenant and housing justice in the Austin area, Building and Strengthening Tenant Action (BASTA) seeks a tenant organizer to join our team to support our efforts to organize tenants in response to the recent Winter Storm. This position is temporary through the end of the year with hopes that funding will be identified to make the position permanent. BASTA, a project of the Texas RioGrande Legal Aid (TRLA), works with low-income Austin renters to fight for tenant respect and dignity and to advocate for healthy, safe and affordable housing. BASTA employs a variety of advocacy techniques, including education, organizing, and litigation.
The duties and activities of the Tenant Organizer include the following:
● Visiting substandard properties affected by the Winter Storm to engage and educate Austin renters about their right to live in healthy and safe homes.
● Forming and strengthening tenants associations to address collective concerns and issues.
● Developing leadership skills of tenants association members, including outreach, meeting facilitation, public speaking, and negotiation skills.
● Strategizing with tenants associations on the optimal ways to address their concerns, such as collective repair requests, meeting with property managers, and reporting substandard conditions to code enforcement.
● Educating Austin renters on tenants rights and the connection between housing deficiencies and health, through the development of accessible materials and the use of popular education techniques.
● Documenting outreach activities and compiling data to track outcomes and efficacy of the project.
● Other duties, as assigned.
●Commitment to economic justice and mission of BASTA
● Bilingual in English and Spanish
● Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of people, including residents and property owners.
● Organizing experience
● Detail oriented
● Ability to work nights and weekends
● Strategic thinker
● Vehicle and driver's license
● Previous outreach, community engagement, and community organizing experience.
● Knowledge of housing issues and/or landlord-tenant law.
● Personal experience with low-income housing.
● Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and willingness to learn and develop additional skills.
Salary dependent on experience.
TO APPLY: email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org