Building and Strengthening Tenant Action
Buscando Acción y Solidaridad Que Transforme el Arrendamiento
We are a team of tenants, organizers, attorneys, and paralegals working to create a future where all Austinites have access to healthy and affordable housing.
We are always looking for talented and passionate folks to join our team.
Check back regularly for updated opportunities to help us achieve our mission.
In furthering the cause of tenant and housing justice in the Austin area, Building and Strengthening Tenant Action (BASTA) seeks an Organizer Director to join our team. BASTA works with low-income Austin renters to fight for tenant respect and dignity and to advocate for healthy, safe, and affordable housing. BASTA employs a variety of advocacy techniques, including education, organizing, and litigation.
ORGANIZING DIRECTOR DESCRIPTION
BASTA seeks a person with a robust community organizing background, strong campaign planning skills, and team management experience to be its Organizing Director. The successful candidate will be responsible for directing our organizing staff and refining and continuing to develop BASTA’s organizing model, which focuses on uplifting the lived experience of those who are most impacted by the current housing crisis: low-income renters.
The Organizing Director will manage a team of organizers and will collaborate with our legal and communications teams to support tenants association campaigns in pursuit of fair and healthy housing. The Organizing Director will report directly to the Project Director. As BASTA continues to grow, this position offers a unique opportunity to work with the Project Director in guiding BASTA’s organizational development and connecting its on-the-ground work with the city, state, and national housing justice movement.
● Supervise and manage the BASTA organizing staff.
● Systematically track organizing activities and results and prepare reports.
● Ensure implementation of, and help develop, BASTA personnel policies and staff evaluations.
● Train new organizers in outreach, facilitation, meeting planning, research and other key skills.
● Direct campaigns in key work areas, including citywide policy and advocacy efforts to further housing justice.
● Support organizers in the development of tenant leadership.
● Create campaign plans with organizers and tenants associations to address collective concerns and issues at properties across Austin.
● Maintain overarching knowledge of all BASTA campaigns and contribute to strategic campaign development.
● Coordinate with administrative staff at BASTA on both external and internal management issues.
● Other duties, as needed
● Commitment to economic justice and mission of BASTA
● Personnel management experience
● Organizing experience
● Detail oriented
● Ability to work nights and weekends
● Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
● Strong analytical skills
● Strategic thinker
● Strong interpersonal skills; ability to relate well to people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives
● Vehicle and driver's license
● Knowledge of MS Office
● Extensive experience with campaign organizing and leadership development around issues of social justice; Texas-based experience preferred
● Spanish speaking or speaker of other commonly spoken language among BASTA membership (including Vietnamese and Arabic)
● Personal experience with low-income housing
● MS Office, G Suite, and Database design and management skills
● Grant Writing and development experience
● Experience with the following issues: healthy homes, building code enforcement, community benefit agreements, tenants’ legal rights, equitable development, urban planning, or public health
Salary dependent on experience. Full medical and dental benefits are provided to BASTA employees. Paid vacation, sick days, and holidays. This is an exempt position but hours are reasonable.
TO APPLY: email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org